Operator Skills Hub
Our purpose-built facility in Birmingham offers state-of-the-art training simulators as well as the latest semi-autonomous plant and equipment, specialist test areas and demonstration zones.
The centre is accredited to Compliance Plus, CITB, Construction Plant Competence Scheme (CPCS), National Open College Network (NOCN) and Institute for Apprentices and Technical Education standards. The full range of courses on offer include:
- CPCS and National Plant Operators Registration Scheme plant training and technical tests
- Compliance Plus
- Plant operative apprenticeship
- Construction Plant Operative Level 2 Apprenticeship
- Bespoke courses for new entrants
- Utility detection training
- New Roads and Street Works Act training (NRSWA)
- GPS machine control and guidance training
- Level 1 simulator training
- Site Safety Plus courses (SMSTS, SSSTS, SEATS)
- CITB touch screen tests
- NOCN site right accredited courses
- Health & Safety short courses
With the construction and infrastructure industry rapidly scaling up to deliver some of the most ambitious schemes, we hope to increase the retention of skilled operators and encourage new entrants to join the sector. We provide 200 supplementary courses to enhance existing knowledge and train over 500 operators in readiness for High Speed 2.
We will help address the construction and infrastructure sectors’ skills shortage and provide operators with the skills to deliver efficiently on modern day, digitally-enabled projects.
- Providing innovative, future focussed training solutions.
- Equipping people with the right skills and qualifications to safely deliver the construction and infrastructure projects.
- Encouraging new entrants to – and improving the diversity of – the construction and infrastructure sector.
What to expect
Used effectively to attract new talent and up-skill existing operators.
Dedicated training zones
Catering for specific machines and learning objectives including red zone, machine control and an industry-leading utility detection zone.
Engaging with local providers, the Operator Skills Hub is one of the first facilities to deliver the brand-new Trailblazer Plant Operative Apprenticeship.
Operator finishing school
Additional, advanced training for new operators to compliment the CPCS syllabus and ensure they are site ready.
Touch screen testing, classrooms, meeting spaces, medical room, canteen and shower/changing facilities.
Creating social value
The Operator Skills Hub supports local businesses and communities, as well as the wider construction and infrastructure sector by:
- Maximising employment opportunities for experienced operators by providing additional, focused training modules to enhance learning experiences and develop knowledge, skills and behaviours.
- Engaging with the future generation of plant operators, the Operator Skills Hub will support education leavers and young people into employment. Providing opportunities for people to retrain and enter the construction industry while ensuring a sustainable skills model is delivered.
- Supporting local construction companies and regional plant hire companies by attracting new entrants and providing high quality training.
- Supporting local charities by offering work and training opportunities to individuals looking for sustainable employment.
- Increasing the number of candidates accessing training from Operator Skills Hub partners (regional colleges, private sector training and technology providers).
- Promoting sustainability best practise by enhancing the workforce’s understanding of environmental impact and use of eco-operation and GPS.
- Collaborating with the West Midlands Combined Authority, Greater Manchester Authority, and the Greater London Authority to recognise employment opportunities for local people.